Monday, February 13, 2012

Sluts, Whores, and English Teachers

   Today in P.E., a this girl called my friend Bryanna a whore. This made me laugh out loud. I love that people throw the words "whore" and "slut" around as if they were as common as the word "girl". The dictionary definition of whore is "a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot". Essentially, a prostitute. The defenition of slut is "an immoral or dissolute woman; prostitute". Honestly, would you walk around calling people prostitutes? Uh, no. Seriously. How stupid is that? About as stupid as calling them a slut or a whore.
   I can honestly say I have never met a prostitute. But if you ask people if they've ever met a whore, they will say yes.
   Ugh. I sound like an English teacher. Just today we were talking about denotation vs. connotation in English. You know, like how frugal and miserly mean the same thing (that's denotation), but people think of frugal in a positive way and miserly in a negative way (that's connotation).
   Enough of that. I've had enough of school. I wish the weekend was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment